, ,

The other week I noted that I have never written about Daisy, our cute cream Syrian hamster. Well some how that damn little critter must have read my blog and decided it was her turn because the next week she ended up at the vets with a broken leg!

We have a wonderful vet called Sam. He is great with our animals and with the kids. He takes the girls cheekiness and nosing around the lab in his stride and even admired AJ’s impromptu highland dancing display one time. Sam explained to us that Daisy was in a lot of pain with her leg and he would need to give meds as soon as possible, then keep her in to operate. He would try to mend the break, or if not amputation would be the other option. Also because she was such a small animal, there is always a risk with anesthetic and she may not come around from it. This was such a lot to take in with two girls starting to get upset, so I signed the forms and the three of us went home without our hamster.

Sam was on the phone by 9.15 the next morning while Bart and I were waiting for playgroup to open. Daisy had come through the operation and was resting. So far he had managed to save the leg by pinning it together, but he wanted to keep her in for observation. We were sad Daisy would not be coming home, but happy she was doing better.

Sam was on the phone again the following morning. Daisy was doing really well, but he’d had to put her back under and reinsert the pins as she had managed to get the bandage off and pull the pins out. (Ouch, ouch and ouch again!)

We collected Daisy from the vets on Saturday and I think she was pleased to see us. She looks funny with a box around the pins and a red bandage. Her foot is swollen, but she is moving around on it really well. The two of us are coming to an understanding about the medicine I have to give her twice a day. She takes it like a ‘big girl hamster’ and I give her a treat afterwards. This seems to be working as I have not been bitten yet.

Her check up on Monday went well. Sam showed me the x-rays taken before and after the operation, he used actual pins with the ends removed to hold her leg in place. It is the first time he has tried this, so he is hoping it works as much as we do. So unless anything happens with the leg, our next appointment is on Monday.

It may seem crazy doing all this for an £8 hamster who is now racking up a vet bill around the £100 mark, but she is a member of the family and I could not contemplate the third option I was given.